Thursday, September 3, 2009

Good Work, Cardinal O'Malley

I'm very impressed with this article in response to the hullabaloo over Sen. Kennedy's funeral, at Catholic News Service.
Cardinal O'Malley is right on target when he says "At times, even in the church, zeal can lead people to issue harsh judgments and impute the worst motives to one another. These attitudes and practices do irreparable damage to the communion of the church. If any cause is motivated by judgment, anger or vindictiveness, it will be doomed to marginalization and failure."
I'm completely opposed to abortion, but I'm afraid that statement describes the pro-life movement in the United States perfectly. The hatred and spitefulness it shows turn a good cause into something I can only describe as evil. I hope that changes. As Cardinal O'Malley says:
"We will not change hearts by turning away from people in their time of need and when they are experiencing grief and loss."

No comments:

ShareThis